Bloated? Constipation? Lack of Energy? Brain Fog? Any of these symptoms sound familiar? I know first hand how annoying and uncomfortable these joy sucking ailments can be.
A healthy gut is everything!
Are you looking for simple ways to improve your gut health, increase vitality and alleviate digestive discomfort? Keep reading for the details!
1. Improve Your Diet
It’s what we do consistently that matters y’all! If you are nourishing your body with real, nutrient dense food, most of the time, you will have a happy tummy! Here are the key components of a gut supporting diet.
- Fiber: Aim for 25-30 grams per day! Think leafy greens, cruciferous veggies (like broccoli/cauliflower/kale), avocado, nuts, seeds, chia seeds, flax, hemp seeds, tropical fruit and berries!!
That’s why I LOVE smoothies. You can easily get a hefty dose of fiber in one super simple meal~
- Hydration! To keep your bowels moving! Drink half your weight in ounces EVERY SINGLE DAY. Extra credit for filtered water AND adding Himalayan pink salt! The minerals enhance hydration!
- Protein: At every meal!! Protein keeps your hunger hormones satiated, repairs your muscles and stabilizes your blood sugar. Bone Broth is one of my favorite protein rich options. It’s a gut boosting gold mine!!
- Increase Prebiotic Rich Food in your Diet: Green Bananas, Garlic, Leeks, Onions, Jicama, Kale, Artichokes & Sunchokes, Capers, Olives, Pickled Veggies. They feed the good bugs in your gut and aid digestion!
- Take a Probiotic Supplement This one is my personal favorite.
When I work 1×1 with my clients improving the diet is the cornerstone of our wellness plan!!
Run, Hike, Bike, Barre, Weight Training, Yoga! Find a form of movement you love, that you look forward to, and stick with it! Move for 30 minutes every single day! Movement simply keeps things moving :). Pun intended! Movement also elevates your mood, strengthens your muscles and your organs.
***Extra credit: Make a date to move with your partner or your friend outside!!! Extra accountability, Extra Vitamin D and Extra fun!
3. Get Some Rest & Reduce Your Stress
When we rest we restore our body and our gut. There is a strong correlation between lack of sleep and sugar cravings in my body, and I know I’m not alone!! When I’m well rested I make better choices around how to care for & nourish my body.
As for relaxation, Magnesium, Breath Work, Your Journal, Forest Bathing. These are all simple techniques that will naturally reduce your stress level, which in turn improves your gut health. Chronic Stress may affect digestion, bloating and your body’s ability to absorb nutrients.
4. Improve Your Hormone Health
Estrogen Dominance can have a negative affect on your gut.
Heavy Periods? Breast cysts or tenderness? Ovarian cysts? Menstrual cramps? Water retention? PMS PMDD? I’ve suffered from all of these hormone ailments and know first hand how they negatively effect my gut, digestion and my mood!!! When I had an ovarian cyst I felt like I was 4 months pregnant! No Bueno!
Never fear, there are simple ways to improve Estrogen Dominance naturally!
- Cruciferous vegetables, such as broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, and kale. I take a DIM supplement daily. DIM is basically all of these veggies in a capsule!
- Seed cycling along with your menstrual cycle (description below). **It takes about 3 months before you notice results!
Seed Cycling:: DAYS 1-14 OF YOUR CYCLE
- 1-2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1-2 tablespoons ground pumpkin seeds
Seed Cycling:: DAYS 15-28 OF YOUR CYCLE (OR OVULATION TO MENSTRUATION)
- 1-2 tablespoons ground sunflower seeds
- 1-2 tablespoons ground sesame seeds
If you are thinking about incorporating one of these tactics in your life start with the one that seems most approachable to your lifestyle! Or simply reach out and send me a note. I’d love to help you create your wellness plan!
You deserve to feel good in your own body!!! XOXO