We kicked off the first weekend in December with some holiday baking!! It was so much fun!!! It was rainy and cold on Saturday, and I couldn’t have dreamed up a better way to spend the day then cooped up inside with a heap of chocolate and Christmas music!! We made four different kinds of desserts, and now my freezer is all stocked up for the season!!! YES!
If white chocolate, dark chocolate & coconut speak your love language, try my Grain free Hello Dollies. They are decadent, delicious and a bit nostalgic for me. I’ve been making these treats since I was Zia’s age–Right along side my Mom! Now I get to bake with BOTH my Mama and my daughter. How special is that?!
I came up with this grain free recipe a few years ago and it’s just as good as the original we used to make in the 1990’s! If you are making holiday goodie bags for your neighbors or friends, I highly recommend you add these to your rotation!
You start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees & crushing 2 boxes of gluten free vanilla wafers in your high speed blender or food processor. Or you may crush the wafers by hand like we used to do in the 90’s!!!
We seriously used to put Nilla Vanilla Wafers in a large plastic bag and smash them with a hammer!! haha! Thank God we can now blitz our crust layer in minutes!
Next you melt 3/4 Cup of butter and pour into your 9×9 baking pan. Add your vanilla wafer crust layer and spread out evenly to form the bottom layer of your Hello Dolly Bars.
Next you layer 1 Cup of white chocolate chips, 1 cup of dark chocolate chips and 1 Cup of organic, unsweetened coconut flakes. Finally you finish with a top layer of Organic Sweetened Condensed Milk.
Pop it in the oven at 350 degrees for 35 minutes and you have a beautiful batch of Grain Free Hello Dollies!
I accidentally forgot to line my baking pan in parchment paper!!! So don’t forget that very important step. It’s not the end of the world if you forget, it just makes it more difficult to remove the bars from the pan and cut into “perfect-ish” squares. But perfection is not the goal, enjoyment is!!! and Enjoy you will with this recipe!!!!
Grain Free Hello Dollies by Cortney Zieky
- oven, 9×9 baking pan and high speed blender or food processor
- 3/4 Cup Organic, Grass-fed Salted Butter melted
- 2 boxes Kinnikinnick Gluten Free Wafers about 12 oz.
- 1 14 oz. Organic sweetened condensed milk
- 1 Cup unsweetened fine shredded coconut
- 1 Cup Organic Dark or Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1 Cup White Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line your baking dish with parchment paper. I spray my dish with cooking spray to adhere the parchment paper
- Mix vanilla wafers in food processor or blender (or by hand) until they form a crumbly crust
- Combine vanilla wafer crumbs and melted butter. Press into the bottom of 9×9 inch baking pan to create crust layer.
- Layer the chocolate chips, white chocolate chips and coconut shreds over the crumbs. Drizzle the sweetened condensed milk over the top to set your bars
- Bake @ 350 for 35 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before you cut into bite sized squares
- Store in the freezer for up to a month and enjoy throughout the holiday season!!